Back to photo list

Union Jack - 1965 Morris Minor

Union Jack - 1965 Morris Minor
The picture above is taken automatically from flickr.com, if there is something related to the picture please visit and contact flickr.com
This Morris Minor 1000 was on display at the 2017 Annual Guy’s and Gears Charity Car Show held in the parking lot of Furniture Deals in Overland Park Kansas.

The Morris Minor is a British car that debuted at the Earls Court Motor Show, London, on 20 September 1948. Designed under the leadership of Alec Issigonis, more than 1.3 million were manufactured between 1948 and 1972 in three series: the MM (1948 to 1953), the Series II (1952 to 1956) and finally the 1000 series (1956 to 1971).

Initially available as a two-door saloon and tourer (convertible), the range was expanded to include a four-door saloon in 1950, a wood-framed estate (the Traveller) from October 1953 and panel van and pick-up truck variants from May 1953. It was the first British car to sell over one million units and is considered a classic example of automotive design, as well as typifying "Englishness"

Minor Million
In December 1960 the Morris Minor became the first British car to sell more than 1,000,000 units. To commemorate the achievement, a limited edition of 350 two-door Minor saloons (one for each UK Morris dealership) was produced with distinctive lilac paintwork and a white interior. Also the badge name on the side of the bonnet was modified to read "Minor 1,000,000" instead of the standard "Minor 1000". The millionth Minor was donated to the National Union of Journalists, who planned to use it as a prize in a competition in aid of the union's Widow and Orphan Fund. The company, at the same time, presented a celebratory Minor to London's Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, but this car was constructed of cake.

ADO59
The final major upgrades to the Minor were made in 1962. Although the name Minor 1000 was retained, the changes were sufficient for the new model to be given its own ADO development number. A larger version of the existing A-Series engine had been developed in conjunction with cylinder head specialist Harry Weslake for the then new ADO16 Austin/Morris 1100 range. This new engine used a taller block than did the 948 cc unit, with increased bore and stroke bringing total capacity up to 1,098 cc. Although fuel consumption suffered moderately at 38 mpg, the Minor's top speed increased to 77 mph (124 km/h) with noticeable improvements in low-end torque, giving an altogether more responsive drive. The revised engine was teamed to a stronger gearbox fitted with baulk ring synchromesh rather than the old cone-clutch type. The brakes were still drums on each corner but the front units were increased from 8 inches (20 cm) to 9 inches (23 cm) in diameter. Other changes included a modified dashboard layout with toggle switches, textured steel instrument binnacle, and the return of a glove-box cover on the passengers side (the cubby hole on the driver's side remained open). A different heater completed the interior upgrade, whilst the larger combined front side/indicator light units, common to many BMC vehicles of the time, were fitted to the front wings. These now included a separate bulb and amber lens for indicators while larger tail lamp units also included amber rear flashers. The larger white-on-black speedometer unit (incorporating a warning light indicating when the oil filter was blocked) and the black plastic two-spoke steering wheel were both shared with the basic Morris 1100.

After the formation of British Leyland in 1968 the Minor was largely neglected in favor of improvements to the ADO16 and development of that model's eventual replacement, the Austin Allegro. In 1969 production of the Traveller variants was moved to the ex-Wolseley plant at Adderley Park where the van and pick-up models were already made. This freed up production space at Cowley and simplified the production chain as the Traveller's rear bodies were built at the Morris Bodies factory in Coventry. Adderley Park-built Travellers were offered in a new range of colours from the paint range that BL had introduced for 1970, including vibrant shades such as Limeflower (lime green) and Aqua (turquoise). From 1971 Minors were fitted with a steering-column mounted ignition key and a steering lock rather than the facia-mounted ignition switch used up to that point.

source: Wikipedia
Date: 2017-10-11 12:13:29



1965 65 Morris Minor Pickup Truck Pickup Truck Utility British Automobile Antique Classic Vintage Chrome Guy’s and Gears Charity Car Show Car Show Overland Park Kansas Furniture Deals

Visit : GiantChess.com

Comments

Very nicely done Brad!
Mr_Camera71 2017-10-11 22:26:32
Nicely done .........
Rat Rod Studios 2017-10-12 00:03:12
Cool shot
Kristoffer Trolle 2017-10-12 15:04:40
Lovely.
jtokarz2003 2017-10-14 00:48:28

Members of Indonesia-Product.com | Partnered with GiantChess.com
Powered by IndonesiaCommerce.com | Promoted by IndonesiaWebPromotion.com


Visit Archipelago Country, A Tropical Paradise In The World : EastJava.com and Indonesia-Tourism.com